Most people don’t have the extra space in their homes and apartments for a guest room, so they have to make do with alternative sleeping arrangements when they have to host overnight guests. If you do not have the space, you may need to invest in a portable or temporary bed for your guests.
The best temporary bed for guests for most people is the Vonanda Sofa Bed (available on Amazon). This is a portable bed that can serve more than one purpose, as it can be utilized as a sofa bed or an ottoman. It is made of high-quality material and does not require assembly.
There are a few instances when the Vonanda sofa bed will not be the most suitable temporary bed for you. Therefore, if
- You are on a tight budget, go with EnerPlex Air Mattress
- You are looking for a rollaway folding bed, go with the Karcog Rollaway Bed
- You want a folding bed, go for the Milliard Tri-Fold Foam Folding Mattress
- You want a futon, go for the Flamaker Futon Sofa Bed
- You want to upgrade your guest bed, go for Atlantic Furniture Deerfield Murphy Bed Chest
In this article, I will take you through everything you need to consider when buying a temporary guest bed. I will also discuss why the Vonanda sofa bed is the best choice for most people and some of the alternatives that might be better suited in certain situations.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Temporary Guest Bed
When buying a temporary guest bed, it is crucial to consider different criteria than when buying a permanent one, especially considering that the guest bed is not always in use.
Here are a few factors that you should consider when buying a temporary guest bed:
When looking for a temporary guest bed, the first thing to do is consider the size of the bed and the space you have. Measure the space available for the guest bed. After measuring, consider whether you have enough room for the bed in various positions.
If you’re looking for a fold-out bed, do you have enough space to straighten it? If you want a pull-out bed, do you have room for your guests to move around comfortably? Ensure that the bed you choose will fit well in the available space and give your guests ample room to move around.
Most temporary guest beds are smaller than the standard bed, making them ideal for small spaces. However, your usual bed sheets may not fit. You can get the size nearest to the size of your guest bed and use straps to hold them into place.
|Vonanda Sofa bed||37” W x 74” L x 17” H||3|
|EnerPlex Air Mattress.||75″ L x 13″ H x 39″ W||2|
|Karcog Rollaway Bed||31” W x 75” L x 11.8” H||4|
|Milliard Tri-Fold Foam Folding Mattress||76″ L x 52″ W x 4.5″ H||1|
|Flamaker futon sofa bed||37” W x 65.7“ L x 13.5” H||5|
|Atlantic Furniture Deerfield Murphy Bed Chest||40 1/4″ W x 17 1/8″ D x 8″ H||6|
When buying a temporary guest bed, it is essential to consider other uses for the furniture when you do not have company. Multi-functional beds are an excellent choice, especially if you have a small space and cannot fit a lot of furniture in the room.
A chest bed, for example, is a great choice; when the guests come, you pull out the bed. After, you continue using the furniture as storage. A foldable sofa bed, like the Vonanda sofa bed, can convert into different types of furniture, including an ottoman, a day bed, and a window seat; this means you can use it even when you don’t have company.
A temporary bed you can use even when you do not have company is the best choice.
|Vonanda Sofa Bed||Ottoman, day bed, window seat, guest bed||1|
|EnerPlex Air Mattress||Guest bed, portable traveling bed, camping bed||2|
|Karcog Rollaway Bed||Guest bed||4|
|Milliard Tri-Fold Foam Folding Mattress||Guest bed, seat||3|
|Flamaker Futon Sofa Bed||Couch, guest bed||3|
|Atlantic Furniture Deerfield Murphy Bed Chest||Guest bed||4|
When choosing a temporary guest bed, it is crucial to consider the person who will use it, as different people have different needs. If an older person uses it, consider a bed that is not too high as they may have trouble getting on it. Moreover, older people may need to sit on the bed when putting on their shoes; thus, a lower bed is preferable.
You want your guest to have a good night’s sleep; you should, therefore, get a comfortable temporary bed for your guests. A thicker mattress will be more comfortable; look for a mattress that is at least 3 inches thick to accommodate an adult.
Memory foam mattresses are the most popular material used in guest beds. They are comfortable and allow even body weight distribution for a good night’s sleep.
|Vonanda Sofa Bed||3 inches||5|
|EnerPlex Air Mattress||13 inches||1|
|Karcog Rollaway Bed||5 inches||3|
|Milliard Tri-Fold Foam Folding Mattress||4.5 inches||4|
|Flamaker Futon Sofa Bed||Not specified|
|Atlantic Furniture Deerfield Murphy Bed Chest||6 inches||2|
When looking for a temporary guest bed, you must consider the bed’s weight limit or density. A bed’s material and frame determine how well it holds and how much weight it can carry. For a children’s bed, you should get a bed with a weight limit of at least 180 pounds (81.6 kg).
A bed that is made to hold one or more adults should hold at least 400 pounds. Sofa and Murphy beds are excellent for this, as they can hold 500 to 1,000 pounds of evenly distributed weight.
|Guest bed||Weight limit||Rating|
|Vonanda Sofa Bed||440 pounds||2|
|EnerPlex Air Mattress||300 pounds||4|
|Karcog Rollaway Bed||220 pounds||5|
|Milliard Tri-Fold Foam Folding Mattress||Not specified|
|Flamaker Futon Sofa Bed||410 pounds||3|
|Atlantic Furniture Deerfield Murphy Bed Chest||800 pounds||1|
When looking for a temporary guest bed, you should also consider their price. Some multi-functional beds may be a bit pricier than their single-use counterparts. If you’re on a tight budget, you may want to consider getting single-use beds like the EnerPlex Air Mattress. You can deflate the mattress after use and store it until the next time you have company.
If you have a bid of money at your disposal, you can go for temporary beds that you can use even when you don’t have visitors. Sofa and chest beds are excellent in this instance.
|Vonanda Sofa Bed||Pricey||5|
|EnerPlex Air Mattress||Not pricey||1|
|Karcog Rollaway Bed||Pricey||4|
|Milliard Tri-Fold Foam Folding Mattress||Fairly priced||2|
|Flamaker futon Sofa Bed||Fairly priced||3|
|Atlantic Furniture Deerfield Murphy Bed Chest||Very pricey||6|
1. Vonanda Sofa Bed: The Best Overall Temporary Guest Bed
The Vonanda Sofa Bed (available on Amazon.com) is the best temporary guest bed. It is versatile and can convert into an ottoman when not in use as a guest bed. You can also use it as a window seat until guests arrive. When folded, you get a classy upholstered ottoman, measuring 37 inches long, 27 inches wide, and 17 inches high.
The backrest of the Vonanda sofa bed is adjustable to five positions, and you can use it for lounging or reading when you are not sleeping. Its simplicity and modern design make it an excellent fit for any decorative style, and you can also use it in different rooms, depending on your needs.
The Vonanda sofa bed is made of premium detachable material for easy cleaning, and its durable gears give the core component more stability. Moreover, the sofa bed does not require assembly, and you can use it as soon as you receive it.
- Multipurpose: The Vonanda sofa bed can be used for many purposes like an ottoman, a window seat, a guest bed, and a daybed.
- Adjustable: The Vonanda sofa bed is adjustable to five positions; you can adjust it according to your needs when reading, lounging, or sleeping.
- Easy to clean: The Vonanda sofa bed has a detachable material that you can remove for easy cleaning
- No assembly: The Vonanda sofa bed does not require assembly; you can use it as soon as you get it.
- Price: The Vonanda sofa bed is a bit expensive compared to other temporary guest beds.
2. EnerPlex Air Mattress: The Best Temporary Guest Bed on a Budget
With the EnerPlex Air Mattress (available on Amazon.com), you don’t need to spend a fortune to accommodate your guests. This temporary guest bed is pocket friendly and takes up little to no room as it comes in a one-foot square package for easy storage.
The EnerPlex Air Mattress comes with an inbuilt pump and takes approximately 2 minutes to inflate fully. The mattress can hold up to 300 pounds, so it can comfortably accommodate two small children or one adult. It is made of polyvinyl fabric welded at the seams to make it more durable.
The EnerPlex Air Mattress is waterproof and can be used as a portable bed when traveling or camping, and you can use a portable battery to inflate it. The mattress is made of puncture resistance PVC, making it suitable for outdoor and indoor use. The mattress is adjustable, as you can inflate or deflate it to achieve your desired comfort level.
- Multipurpose: You can use the EnerPlex Air Mattress as a temporary guest bed indoors or a traveling and camping mattress.
- Waterproof: This air mattress is waterproof; it is fit for use outdoors
- Adjustable: you can inflate the mattress to your desired comfort level and inflate and deflate accordingly.
- Price: The EnerPlex Air Mattress is pocket friendly.
- Inflation: it requires a power source to inflate; you must carry a battery when outdoors to inflate the mattress.
- Not for long-term use: The EnerPlex Air Mattress is not for daily use; you can only use it once in a while to ensure its durability.
3. Karcog Rollaway Bed: The Best Temporary Rollaway Guest Bed
The best temporary rollaway guest bed is the Karcog Rollaway Bed (available on Amazon.com). It features a comfortable 5 inches mattress, with a 3.5-inch firm form and 1.5-inch memory foam. The rollaway bed comes with a cover to keep off dust when in storage. The smooth steel frame on wheels makes it move around and into storage when not in use.
The Karcog Rollaway bed has a sturdy frame that reinforces it for long-term use. The bed takes up little space in storage as it is only 12.8 inches thick when folded. You can never go wrong with the Karcog Rollaway Bed as they provide excellent customer support through email or Amazon buyer messages.
What’s more, the Karcog Rollaway Bed is easy to assemble, does not require additional tools, and comes with a well-detailed illustration manual. You can also fix dual locking wheels to prevent the bed from slipping.
- Durable: The Karcog Rollaway Bed has a sturdy premium steel frame that reinforces its structure and gives adequate stability and support, making it durable for long-term use.
- Comfort and support: The bed has a high-density and memory foam mattress that gives your guests the support and comfort they need for a good night’s sleep.
- Compact: When folded, the rollaway bed takes little storage space and can be stored away in a closet when not in use. It also comes with a cover to store it in to protect it from dust when in storage.
- Support: The company offers customer support to its customers via email or the Amazon buyer message.
- Maneuverability: The bed can be easily rolled away to any room needed by anyone, even children.
- Assembly: The Karcog Rollaway Bed requires assembly; it, however, comes with a well-illustrated manual to help with the assembly and does not require extra tools
- Weight limit: The Karcog Rollaway Bed has a low weight limit of 220 pounds.
4. Milliard Tri-Fold Foam Folding Mattress: The Best Temporary Folding Guest Bed
The Millard Tri-Fold Foam Folding Mattress (available on Amazon.com) is a great temporary bed for guests. It is a low-level cushioned seat that folds out into a queen-sized mattress when you have guests. It features a cushioned sitting surface that makes it suitable for a family room or playroom.
If you have guests who do not mind sleeping on the floor, this is one of the best temporary guest beds on the market. It is simple and elegant, and it works wonderfully in a dorm room or small apartment where space is an issue.
It also comes with a removable soft cover for easy machine cleaning. The bed is made of innovative CertiPUR-US high-density foam that prevents it from sagging while remaining light and convenient for traveling.
- Simple design: The folding mattress is simple and elegant, making it suitable for many rooms.
- Size: The Millard Tri-Fold Foam Folding Mattress can be folded to a small size to enable storage in small spaces.
- Portable: The mattress is made of durable but light materials that make it easily portable
- Easy to Clean: The Millard Tri-Fold Foam Folding Mattress has a soft removable cover, making it easy to clean.
- Price: The Millard Tri-Fold Foam Folding Mattress is cheaper than other temporary guest beds.
- Weight limit: The Millard Tri-Fold Foam Folding Mattress weight limit is not specified.
5. Flamaker Futon Sofa Bed: The Best Temporary Futon Sofa Bed for Guests
The Flamaker Futon Sofa Bed (available on Amazon.com) is among the best temporary beds for guests. For a long time, futon beds have been a go-to for dorm rooms, small apartments, and other places with little to no floor space. The Flamaker futon sofa bed features a sleek faux leather finish that is easy to clean.
When it is not in use as a temporary guest bed, the Flamaker futon becomes a sofa, which is 65.7 inches long and can seat two or three people comfortably. It features a fold-down cup holder in the middle for holding your drinks. When folded out into a bed, the armrests act as pillows.
The Flamaker futon sofa bed is extremely comfortable, made with thick padding and cushions. The backrest can tilt to 120, 160, and 180 degrees, making it comfortable for you no matter the position you want to sleep in. The Flamaker futon has a classic design that adds elegance to any space with its smooth faux leather and chrome leg finishes. It is easily convertible to a temporary guest bed and does not need assembly.
- Easily convertible: The Flamaker futon is easily convertible to a bed with a fully reclining backrest and removable armrest that serve as pillows.
- Multipurpose: The Flamaker futon is multipurpose; you can use it as a sofa and convert it into a sofa bed when you have company.
- Easy to clean: The smooth faux leather fabric is effortless to clean as you only need to wipe down the surface, and the sofa is as good as new.
- Classic design: The chrome metal legs give a room an elegant look without trying too much.
- Price: The Flamaker futon sofa bed is quite affordable. You can buy it on Amazon.
- Size: The mattress size is not specified and is among the shortest temporary guest beds at 65.7 inches long.
6. Atlantic Furniture Deerfield Murphy Bed Chest: The Best Temporary Guest Bed Upgrade
If you’re looking for a unique and classy upgrade to your temporary guest bed, the Atlantic Furniture Deerfield Murphy Bed Chest (available on Amazon.com) is your best bet. This guest bed looks like a wooden chest of drawers, which makes it suitable to add to any existing room.
The Atlantic Furniture Deerfield Murphy Bed Chest is available in different wood-style finishes and has two built-in USB charging ports so your guests can charge their devices while resting. The Murphy Bed is very comfortable as it features a 5-inch high-density foam mattress.
The Atlantic Furniture Deerfield Murphy Bed Chest is a queen bed, and you can use it long-term. It is easy to assemble as you only need to pull out the drawer to convert it to a bed. At a weight limit of 800 pounds, it is the temporary bed with the highest weight limit on this list.
- Long-term use: You can use the Atlantic Furniture Deerfield Murphy Bed Chest as a standard bed,
- Weight limit: it has a high weight limit making it the best temporary bed in terms of weight capacity.
- Easy to use: It has pull handles to open the drawers and unfold the mattress.
- Design: Its wood-style finish makes it blend in with the décor of most existing rooms.
- Comfort: It has a thick mattress with memory foam for better support and comfort for your guests.
- Price: The Atlantic Furniture Deerfield Murphy Bed Chest is the most expensive of the temporary beds on this list.
- Size: It is also the smallest temporary bed in length, and may not be suitable for tall people.
After comparing the usability, price, and convertibility of many temporary guest beds, I have found that the best temporary guest bed for most people is the Vonanda Sofa bed. It is multipurpose, easy to clean, and relatively affordable. It also comes in a wide range of colors suitable for all decors and does not require assembly.
You may also like: